West Bengal Minister Dilip Ghosh on Tuesday reacted sharply to reports that a jhalmuri vendor from Jhargram had allegedly received threats after serving snacks to Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a political rally earlier this year.
Speaking to reporters, Ghosh said that attempts to create tension and disturb peace in the country would not be tolerated and warned that strict action would be taken against those responsible.
“A few people cause tension in India by doing such things. That time is now gone. It is our Government now. Everything will be responded to well,” Ghosh said while addressing the media.
According to reports, the vendor allegedly received threatening messages through WhatsApp after he served jhalmuri to Prime Minister Modi during a poll rally in Krishnanagar in April. The incident has sparked political reactions in the state, with BJP leaders condemning the alleged intimidation.
The controversy has added to the ongoing political tensions in West Bengal ahead of crucial political developments in the state.
During the interaction with reporters, Ghosh also targeted Trinamool Congress chief and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee over a meeting convened by her with party MLAs to discuss protests against what she termed as “bulldozer culture.”
Criticising the move, Ghosh said such meetings would have carried more significance had they been held earlier during the Trinamool Congress government’s tenure when, according to him, public grievances were being ignored.
“Earlier, the CM had no idea what was happening in Bengal. If the meetings that they are conducting now were conducted earlier and understood people's suffering, the scenario would be something different,” he remarked.
The exchange reflects the continuing political rivalry between the BJP and the ruling Trinamool Congress in West Bengal, where issues related to law and order, governance, and political violence frequently dominate public discourse.
Leave Your Comment