An encounter broke out between terrorists and security forces in the Dorimal forests of Rajouri district in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday, officials said. Security agencies believe that at least two to three terrorists are trapped in the area, while an extensive search operation is underway to trace any other militants hiding in the dense forest region.
According to sources, the operation was launched after security forces received intelligence inputs regarding suspicious terrorist movement in the Dorimal forest belt. Acting on the information, joint teams of the Army and other security agencies began a search and cordon operation in the area.
During the search, the terrorists reportedly opened fire on the security personnel, triggering a fierce gunbattle. Forces retaliated immediately, leading to an ongoing encounter in the forested terrain. Additional reinforcements have also been rushed to the area to prevent the militants from escaping.
Officials said the operation is continuing, and the entire area has been placed under tight surveillance. Security forces are using advanced monitoring equipment and combing operations to neutralise the remaining terrorists.
The encounter comes months after the Indian Army’s White Knight Corps announced the elimination of a major terror network operating in Kishtwar district earlier this year.
In February, the Army shared photographs of seven terrorists on social media platform X and stated, “After 326 days, the terror network in Kishtwar has been eliminated.”
Among those killed was Jaish-e-Mohammed commander Saifullah, who was identified as the mastermind behind terror operations in the Kishtwar region. The White Knight Corps had also stated that the successful operation involved close coordination between the Jammu and Kashmir Police, Central Reserve Police Force, and Army Intelligence units.
Meanwhile, Army Chief General Upendra Dwivedi recently delivered a strong message to Pakistan over continued cross-border terrorism.
Speaking during an interactive session titled “Sena Samwad” hosted by Uniform Unveiled at the Manekshaw Centre last week, Gen Dwivedi warned that if Pakistan continues to harbour terrorists and support anti-India activities, it would face serious consequences.
“If Pakistan continues to harbour terrorists and operate against India, then they have to decide whether they want to be part of geography or history or not,” the Army Chief said.
His remarks came around the first anniversary of Operation Sindoor, which was launched on May 7 last year following the deadly Pahalgam terror attack.
Under Operation Sindoor, Indian armed forces carried out precision strikes targeting terror infrastructure located in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK). Pakistan later launched retaliatory offensives, after which India responded with further counter-operations under the same mission.
The military confrontation between the two nuclear-armed neighbours lasted nearly 88 hours before both sides reached an understanding on the evening of May 10, bringing the escalation to a halt.
Leave Your Comment